On some occasions, neither diet nor exercise is capable of eliminating the localized fat that accumulates in certain areas of our body; and that seems to want to stay forever.
Cryolipolysis is therefore one of the many other alternatives to diet and exercise – to shape the figure and reduce fat volume. Many people even prefer to go for this treatment because they don’t have to go to surgery.
Surely on more than one occasion, you must have heard of cryolipolysis too. But, do you know what it is about?
In the following, we provide you with more details about it.
What is Cryolipolysis?
Cryolipolysis is a non-invasive, painless aesthetic medical treatment that consists of applying cold to the body to eliminate localized fat. It is referred to as the most developed option for fat cell removal.
This method pursues the same objective as liposuction but without the need to go through an operating room. It was developed by doctors at Harvard University in Boston, Massachusetts (United States).
How does Cryolipolysis work?
Cryolipolysis is performed through the use of highly specialized equipment. The treatment is a non-invasive treatment that kills the adipocytes(fat cells) utilizing cooling and thereby achieves a considerable decrease in the fat layer, between 30% and 50%.
In the procedure, the temperature is lowered in a controlled manner, down to -8ºC, which causes the death of the adipocytes, Then, the fat cells are gradually eliminated over the following two to three months after the completion of the treatment.
Cryolipolysis is a painless treatment. Hence, once the procedure is finished, you can lead a normal life without any inconvenience. It’s unlike undergoing surgery such as liposuction, whose intervention and recovery involve limitation of movement and pain for several weeks.
What areas can be treated with Cryolipolysis?
Excess fat located in specific areas of the body is one of the first concerns, both in men and women. This treatment is designed to sculpt and reshape the entire figure, mainly in critical areas such as:
- The neck and jowls
- The abdomen and lateral flanks
- The hips
- The buttocks
- The knees
- The arms
- The thighs
Different areas and sizes can be treated to remove adipocytes through suction, with highly effective results.
Post-cryolipolysis treatment effects
Being a painless procedure, it is not necessary to apply anaesthesia or medication.
It is true that after applying the cold and suction, moderate redness may appear in the treated area. This only lasts a few minutes or hours, depending on each patient. In other cases, slight bruising appears that can last between 4-and 8 days.
Additionally, in a few cases, it has been described that some patients feel numbness in the treated area between 1 to 8 weeks. In general, the side effects of this treatment are mild and transient.
How long does Cryolipolysis treatment last?
Cryolipolysis treatment sessions can last between 60 and 90 minutes. The treatment is performed only in the area to be treated and the procedure is as follows:
- First, a study is carried out by qualified personnel. The study is to examine the patient’s weight, height, and other things.
- Secondly, the most suitable applicator for the patient is selected.
- Next, a special gel is applied to the area to be treated, to protect the skin from the cold that is to be applied.
- Finally, a wipe is placed and suctioned in the area that has localized fat.
If the patient wishes to carry out more sessions, it is advisable to wait a minimum time of between 6 to 8 weeks.
With the first session, the results will be visible after 3 weeks, and a significant reduction in volume can also be observed. The final effect will be after 6 weeks of treatment.
The number of recommended sessions varies in each case. Usually, 2-3 sessions are enough.
Advantages of Cryolipolysis
Below we detail the main advantages of cryolipolysis:
- Non-Invasive – Cryolipolysis is a non-invasive treatment, which means that neither surgery nor needles are required to obtain results.
- No anaesthesia: as it does not require needles or surgeries, no type of anaesthesia is required, only a protective cold gel.
- Does not damage the skin: during the treatment, neither the skin of the treated area nor the surrounding area is damaged.
- Quick recovery: as it is a non-invasive treatment. It does not require recovery, therefore you can return to your routine immediately.
- Permanent results: the results obtained are permanent, although with a poor diet or lack of exercise the patient can accumulate new fat in the treated area.
Without a doubt, cryolipolysis is a good option to say goodbye to that localized fat, and lose volume and centimetres, painlessly and safely. It is an ideal treatment to do in the summer, you do not need recovery and you can lead a normal life after the first session, avoiding direct exposure to the sun for a few days.
Continuing to exercise and have a correct diet will make the results optimal and long-lasting. Although by itself it is an effective and simple treatment in well-selected patients, if you need more firmness in the skin, it can be combined with Radiofrequency, Mesotherapy or other firming techniques.
You must consult with a medical professional to evaluate your case, make an assessment of the current state of your body and apply the treatment in the appropriate areas.