Hurricane Sandy has now come and gone, but the devastation it left can still be seen right across America.
On October 29, the Category 1 storm hit the East coast of the US, causing major damage to homes, business and landmarks in the New York and New Jersey area.
The storm also had an impact on the CrossFit community.
Several affiliates were completely flooded, causing major equipment and building damage.
And it wasn’t just the affiliates that suffered. Many members had their own personal belongings ruined as flood waters went into their own homes.
Two weeks on from Hurricane Sandy and several boxes are still recovering from the super storm.
O-Side CrossFit in Oceanside and CrossFit 516 in Mineola, New York, are some of the many affiliate gyms still reeling from the natural disaster.
However, as expected, the CrossFit community is doing its bit to help the cause, with dozens of CrossFit fundraisers being held right across the nation.
Over the weekend there were several events held, with thousands of dollars raised for affected business and individuals.
– On November 10, CrossFit New Windsor held a ‘Cindy for Sandy’ fundraiser, where more than $1,000 was raised.
– Pump CrossFit hosted a Jersey Stronger Fundraiser, where money, clothes, second hand goods and food were all raised.
– Reebok CrossFit Fifth Avenue held a Super Storm Sandy WOD over the weekend, raising money for the Red Cross.
– Houston-based CrossFit 1525 also held a fundraiser over the weekend with all proceeds going to CrossFit King of the Beach, in Long Beach, which suffered extensive flood damage.
– Brooklyn’s CrossFit Virtuosity in Brooklyn ran a Squat-a-Thon for Sandy.
– Members of The Black Box ran a Push-ups for Pledges day, with all money raised going to the relief fund.
– Ocean State CrossFit in Rhode Island collected food during its Midnight WODness event.
– Class One CrossFit in Brooklyn is offering CrossFit classes for $15 with all proceeds going to the relief fund.
– A WOD 4 Sandy event will be held at CrossFit 732 on November 17 with all money going to the Sandy Relief.
– Skyline CrossFit in Texas is holding a partner WOD on November 17 with all money raised going to help rebuild CrossFit King of the Beach.
These are just some of the many fundraising events raising money for Hurricane Sandy.
If you know any more, please let us know in the comment section below!